• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 teboja

teboja

• Gold Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:14 PM

Does anyone know the background of CSA grading?

Do they have or did they have a good rep?

Have some Tobacco cards that are graded by them and was curious as to if they usually graded higher, tighter, or same as the the PSA's, SGC's, Becketts, and GAI's of the world?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

#2 Bobby

Bobby

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Being with my girls.
  • Collection:Was a heavy Pre-war collector, mostly Hall of Famers type cards.

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:34 PM

Does anyone know the background of CSA grading?

Do they have or did they have a good rep?

Have some Tobacco cards that are graded by them and was curious as to if they usually graded higher, tighter, or same as the the PSA's, SGC's, Becketts, and GAI's of the world?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Any other company besides the big 4 you will be taking a big risk of the card being altered. That is why we only cover those companies in our database because the are reasonable and don't just grade anything. If you see the card in person and can judge if the card is good then you can go for it. But I would never buy one online by just seeing scans. I have in the past and have been burned everytime.

Good luck,

Bobby
Bobby Binder
VintageCardPrices

#3 CardCollector12

CardCollector12

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:44 AM

First off, ask yourself why someone would send a card to any grading service other then the major ones? Answer-their card could not pass grading standards. Were all aware of which companies bring the most return, its no secret. No one would use one of these third rate graders unless trying to pass off an altered or trimmed card as unaltered and untrimmed. Thats really all there is too it 99% of the time

#4 TGF_Sports

TGF_Sports

Advanced Member

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:09 PM

First off, ask yourself why someone would send a card to any grading service other then the major ones? Answer-their card could not pass grading standards. Were all aware of which companies bring the most return, its no secret. No one would use one of these third rate graders unless trying to pass off an altered or trimmed card as unaltered and untrimmed. Thats really all there is too it 99% of the time

I don't disagree with your comments. However, many of the mid/bottom tier companies offer a huge discount per card for a large submission, and if your only interest is to have your favorite set of cards slabbed, then the discounts can be very attractive. (Like if anyone ever wanted to slab their 1990 Donruss set!) :rolleyes:

As for grading standards, I have bought many a card slabbed by Beckett and PSA that I felt were overgraded and/or altered. With Beckett, I have purchased many older cards that could not be slabbed by PSA, due to being miscut or undersized. And for PSA, if you submit your OC cards with a "No Qualifier" request, they will slab them and sometimes one can get decent non-qualified grades.

As Bobby stated, you are usually safest with the Big-4.

Michael

#5 Bennybeans

Bennybeans

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:50 AM

For higher value cards I always use PSA but recently I began using CSA for other cards. It's important to note that there are two CSA's, one is out of the US the other is Canadian.

I use the second http://www.csagrading.com/

I have the unlimited grading from them and they're holders are just like PSA's and they have a good grading scale.

#6 dwyerpe

dwyerpe

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:12 PM

I agree with the comments that have been said, if you don't send it to one of the big 4, the card will be viewed as having a problem. Like others, I've been burned every time on a crossover as the cards consistently come back altered / trimmed (a PRO Gem Mint Jerry Rice 1986 Topps was my last and final example - I'll never buy another card from one of these companies again). I can certainly understand wanting cards slabbed only at a reasonable price, it's how I started as a PSA member. PSA typically offers decent specials each month, and on a decent deal you can have them graded for $5/card for cards valued under $100. These typically pop up every other month or so, and are a good way to get the less valuable cards slabbed and graded by a reputable company. It's worth the extra money because you can join a set registry, talk to other collectors that have similar interests, etc., and if you ever want to sell, there's some hope of making your money back. In terms of value, I've found personally PSA typically brings the highest value, followed by BGS/BVG, and distantly followed by GAI/SGC. I do feel SGC is underrated and underappreciated - I've had great luck with their crossovers to PSA (crossing over at the same grade) but found selling a SGC card online much more difficult than a PSA graded card.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)