• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mwieder

mwieder

• Limited Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:50 AM

Obviously it's unrealistic that we all have live access to the internet at every store/card show. This poses a serious problem since we all use VCP as our primary pricing source. To help address that, I'd suggest the following:

Have a link on each card's main page that opens up a simple unformatted table containing up to the last 100 transactions (or whatever will fit on a standard sheet) for that card sorted by date:
Date Venue Grader Grade Sale_Price

That way, when I am going to the show knowing I want to buy a T206 Tris Speaker, even though I don't know what conditions I will find, I will have enough information in front of me with that printed table.

I could certainly see myself going to the shows with printouts of a few of my "targets" and that would make a HUGE difference.

#2 Bobby

Bobby

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Being with my girls.
  • Collection:Was a heavy Pre-war collector, mostly Hall of Famers type cards.

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:34 PM

I would assume you would print out the Want List to take with you to the show. And there is a notes section that you can use to enter some price data points. And it will print out with the list that you can do direct from the site or download as a CSV file.

We have on our list of things to do to make the site PDA applicable. So hope to get that completed before the next National for you to use.

Bobby
Bobby Binder
VintageCardPrices

#3 mwieder

mwieder

• Limited Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:07 PM

Bobby - it would be quite time consuming for us to make "notes" of the last 50 transactions for a card in various grades, but quite trivial for you to program since you have it already.

#4 Bobby

Bobby

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Being with my girls.
  • Collection:Was a heavy Pre-war collector, mostly Hall of Famers type cards.

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:03 PM

Bobby - it would be quite time consuming for us to make "notes" of the last 50 transactions for a card in various grades, but quite trivial for you to program since you have it already.

Matt,

Here is the problem...yes we can make that happen not a problem, but now what we are doing is making it very easy for a competitor or another price guide source printed or online very easy for them to simply print out our download information and implement it into there guide. So all of our hard work can be stolen in seconds. At least this way they have to work a little to take what we have created.

I hope you understand this point of view..

Bobby
Bobby Binder
VintageCardPrices

#5 mwieder

mwieder

• Limited Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:41 AM

Matt,

Here is the problem...yes we can make that happen not a problem, but now what we are doing is making it very easy for a competitor or another price guide source printed or online very easy for them to simply print out our download information and implement it into there guide. So all of our hard work can be stolen in seconds. At least this way they have to work a little to take what we have created.

I hope you understand this point of view..

Bobby

Bobby - I understand your dilemma, but I think you are being overly paranoid and hurting your customers in the process.

You are concerned that someone else will pay for your service, then go card by card throughout every single card, bring out the sales data, then write some software that will parse the whole thing and re-enter it back into their system, where they will charge people less then you for the same information? You guys only charge $10 a month - how much could they charge for that amount of time to be worthwhile for them?

Even granted that concern, why not cap it at allowing each user to only print out 100 pricing sheets per month - that should be more then enough for all legitimate uses, but not nearly enough for anyone trying to steal pricing information. That should work for all involved.

#6 Griffins

Griffins

Advanced Member

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Set collector-T200, Cracker Jacks, '06 Fan Craze, T218, T118, Sport Kings, '41 Goudey and Playball, '48 Leaf, '58 Bell Brand, '58 Hires Test, pre '59 unopened packs, uncut sheets and panels. Probably other stuff too.

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:25 PM

"Obviously it's unrealistic that we all have live access to the internet at every store/card show."

Not really- I can access vcp at any show or store via my iphone. Not sure if other phones can do the same, but I've never had an issue with it.

#7 mwieder

mwieder

• Limited Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:44 AM

"Obviously it's unrealistic that we all have live access to the internet at every store/card show."

Not really- I can access vcp at any show or store via my iphone. Not sure if other phones can do the same, but I've never had an issue with it.

Griffins - read it again - I didn't say it was unrealistic that some had internet access at all times. But I'm happy you can afford an iPhone and the monthly service.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users