28 replies to this topic

#1 Bobby

Bobby

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Being with my girls.
  • Collection:Was a heavy Pre-war collector, mostly Hall of Famers type cards.

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:42 PM

We have been experiencing some slowness in the site and a few members have made mention. The reason we have concluded is do to our server being filled by all the auction images, we have over 200,000 now. Solution is we just acquired 2 more servers and are in the process of moving all the images to free up space for the main server to operate faster.

So please bear with us and this problem should be solved in the next day or two.

Thanks,

Bobby & Carlos
Bobby Binder
VintageCardPrices

#2 Bobby

Bobby

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:38 PM

We have been experiencing some slowness in the site and a few members have made mention. The reason we have concluded is do to our server being filled by all the auction images, we have over 200,000 now. Solution is we just acquired 2 more servers and are in the process of moving all the images to free up space for the main server to operate faster.

So please bear with us and this problem should be solved in the next day or two.

Thanks,

Bobby & Carlos

Everything has been moved so the site should now be back to normal. We appreciate your support and as always we are trying to make the site better everyday.
Bobby Binder
VintageCardPrices

#3 mwieder

mwieder

• Limited Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:59 AM

Everything has been moved so the site should now be back to normal. We appreciate your support and as always we are trying to make the site better everyday.

Much better now! Keep up the good work.

#4 nam812

nam812

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:08 AM

Site is even slower than usual today for some reason.

#5 blue227

blue227

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:55 PM

IS THE SITE'S SERVER DOWN? I CAN'T RUN ANY SEARCHES? THE PAGE JUST LOCKS UP AND DOESN'T LOAD.

#6 Carlos

Carlos

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:41 PM

IS THE SITE'S SERVER DOWN? I CAN'T RUN ANY SEARCHES? THE PAGE JUST LOCKS UP AND DOESN'T LOAD.

Hi Blue,

There was some work being done on our set profile grader/grade search this afternoon where a lot of data had to be recalculated. This is stuff that usually happens in the middle of the night but had to be done to make sure we fixed something. This could've been it. What time did you experience this and on what page?

Thanks.

Carlos Cespedes
Online Sports Card Price Guide
VintageCardPrices.com

#7 Bicem

Bicem

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:27 AM

my search function is not working right now.

#8 Carlos

Carlos

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:56 AM

my search function is not working right now.

Bicem,

What time zone are you in? Please advise..

Carlos Cespedes
VintageCardPrices.com

#9 Bicem

Bicem

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:49 PM

Bicem,

What time zone are you in? Please advise..

central

seems to work ok now, will let you know the next time it happens.

#10 blue227

blue227

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:19 AM

Site's search function is down again. I can load other pages from the site easily but not search. Sort of frustrating that this seems to be a repeated glitch here....

Suggestion: If the site is undergoing some sort of maintenance, how about if you add in some sort of update page to let people know that the site's search function is down with an ETA of when it might be back up and running.

#11 Bobby

Bobby

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:17 AM

Site's search function is down again. I can load other pages from the site easily but not search. Sort of frustrating that this seems to be a repeated glitch here....

Suggestion: If the site is undergoing some sort of maintenance, how about if you add in some sort of update page to let people know that the site's search function is down with an ETA of when it might be back up and running.

Just looking at the time you posted this tell me you where doing your searches in middle of the night, correct. This is the worst time because all the the site scripts are running that is very processor heavy. All the new auctions are
pulled, AMR updated, Grid is reset with new values, MC's are all recalculated, etc... We do this in the middle of the night when usually there is no one on the site and if we did it during the day it would greatly slow done the site. If you do searches now every thing should be fine.
Bobby Binder
VintageCardPrices

#12 blue227

blue227

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:48 PM

Just looking at the time you posted this tell me you where doing your searches in middle of the night, correct. This is the worst time because all the the site scripts are running that is very processor heavy. All the new auctions are
pulled, AMR updated, Grid is reset with new values, MC's are all recalculated, etc... We do this in the middle of the night when usually there is no one on the site and if we did it during the day it would greatly slow done the site. If you do searches now every thing should be fine.

Bobby, i appreciate your patience in working with me on the slow site issue but, this evening, it is much earlier vs. the last time i did a search, but i am getting the same result -- the search function locks up. Is there a certain time window that the site is expected to be slow (i.e. all other hours than 9am-5pm EST)? I've thought about the possiblity of it being a firewall or some technical issue but can't think of anything that would explain the slowness (actually, the inablity) of the site to conduct basic searches.

#13 Carlos

Carlos

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:09 AM

Hi blue,

How many successful searches were you able to perform before it seeemed to lock up on you? In the case that it does lock up on you and the search takes more than 10 seconds, try closing that browser window, opening a new one and trying the search again.

We are implementing some major improvements to our hardware that should completely eliminate any slowness during normal business hours as well as during the mid-night/early morning hours for the night owls. This will be happening in the next few days.

Carlos Cespedes
VintageCardPrices.com

#14 blue227

blue227

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:54 AM

Hi blue,

How many successful searches were you able to perform before it seeemed to lock up on you? In the case that it does lock up on you and the search takes more than 10 seconds, try closing that browser window, opening a new one and trying the search again.

We are implementing some major improvements to our hardware that should completely eliminate any slowness during normal business hours as well as during the mid-night/early morning hours for the night owls. This will be happening in the next few days.

Carlos,
I have not been able to complete any searches for the past couple of days. I am able to start a search and can get as far as finding the specific card that I want to get a value for only to have the search process lock up before providing any past transaction values. After it locks up, I then find it difficult to restart any search at even the most basic level (i.e. searching "Topps" to get a list of all Topps sets).

I tried what you suggested about closing down my browser but all that does is allow me to go as far as being just about to get a card's transaction history before locking up again.

What do you think it is? Any insight would be appreciated as it would allow me to make use of the subscription that I am paying for.

Kirk

#15 onegaucho

onegaucho

• Gold Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:1950 Bowman

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:44 AM

i'd have to say that the slow searches has caused me enough frustration that i wont be planning to renew when my subscription is up. some people i know have even started a thread in a separate forum of "what do you do when you perform a search in vcp"
Collecting: Anything related to 1950 Bowman

#16 Bobby

Bobby

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:12 PM

Gaucho,

We just got our new server this morning and will be migrating the site over to it by no later then early next week. You should see a huge difference in everything you do on VCP from there on out. Please after the change please post here again telling us your new experience. And I really think that thread over there will die out really soon.
Bobby Binder
VintageCardPrices

#17 theczar

theczar

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:13 AM

Gaucho,

We just got our new server this morning and will be migrating the site over to it by no later then early next week. You should see a huge difference in everything you do on VCP from there on out. Please after the change please post here again telling us your new experience. And I really think that thread over there will die out really soon.

Looks like the whole thing is down. No searches allowed, just a red asterisk at the top :(

#18 Carlos

Carlos

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:26 AM

Hi czar,

We had some final wrapping up to do on the our new server this morning. There might be a tiny glitch here and there but all the main components of the site have been tested and appear to be running better than normal now.

Thank you for your patience.

Looks like the whole thing is down. No searches allowed, just a red asterisk at the top :(

Carlos Cespedes
VintageCardPrices.com

#19 theczar

theczar

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:35 PM

Hi czar,

We had some final wrapping up to do on the our new server this morning. There might be a tiny glitch here and there but all the main components of the site have been tested and appear to be running better than normal now.

Thank you for your patience.

mr. cepedes

unfortunately not for me. i still am unable to log in to get a price. very frustating when i have a card that i wish to purchase with a time deadline from a private dealer and i cannot look up any information. you really ought to compensate your customers in this situation with some extended time on their subscriptions.

as i attempt to be as diplomatic as possible i don't think it is an unreasonable request that this system be functional at a rate higher than it is currently going. when your service advertises the benefits these sorts of problems never are mentioned. an entire day of being shutout from the system without notice is very unprofessional on your end. in my industry someone would be held accountable.

patience is a two way street with customer service being on the other side of the block. i eagerly await your resolution in this matter.

thanks

#20 Carlos

Carlos

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:12 PM

Czar,

You're right, this is unacceptable and we're trying to uncover the issue as I type this. When making a big move such as this, there will be problems and we've been fixing them all day. Unfortunately a short while ago I realized certain user types only see a blank page on the most important pages. This is a huge problem that should've been the first to be fixed and would've been had we realized it sooner. I'm very sorry for this and you will be compensated.

Update to come shortly.

mr. cepedes

unfortunately not for me. i still am unable to log in to get a price. very frustating when i have a card that i wish to purchase with a time deadline from a private dealer and i cannot look up any information. you really ought to compensate your customers in this situation with some extended time on their subscriptions.

as i attempt to be as diplomatic as possible i don't think it is an unreasonable request that this system be functional at a rate higher than it is currently going. when your service advertises the benefits these sorts of problems never are mentioned. an entire day of being shutout from the system without notice is very unprofessional on your end. in my industry someone would be held accountable.

patience is a two way street with customer service being on the other side of the block. i eagerly await your resolution in this matter.

thanks

Carlos Cespedes
VintageCardPrices.com

Reply to this topic

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)