• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 izturk

izturk

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Collection:Philadelphia Phillies and A's.

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:42 AM

Administrators,

Sometimes, I suppose, things get too good for users of specialized sites like VCP.

A frustrating feature that I constantly run into while entering cards in my VCP database, is the amount of time it takes to bring up a players cards. For example, I did a search on 'Carlton" which would naturally take me to Steve Carlton. The problem is that it took an average of 1 minute and 15 seconds to access the cards on each of his four pages of data.

I imagine this slow-up may have to do with some of the other comments in the past and I believe has nothing to do with users individual servers or such. It seems that the more cards a player has, there is a slow-up with the 'Advanced Ebay Search' feature which in Carlton's case listed 298 items.

I suppose my question is; can this 'Search' feature be 'user disabled' in order to facilitate faster manual entry of individual cards in a members collection?

As always,
Thanks,
George P.

#2 Bobby

Bobby

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:Being with my girls.
  • Collection:Was a heavy Pre-war collector, mostly Hall of Famers type cards.

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:04 PM

George,

That is strange I just did the same search and it took about 2 seconds then choose all to see all his cards and it was instant. I wish there was a way to repeat some of these troubles so we can see for ourselves. Do you think it could of been an IP issue at that moment or something?

Bobby
Bobby Binder
VintageCardPrices

#3 Carlos

Carlos

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:19 PM

Hey George,

If I gather correctly, you're thinking that the eBay listings that appear under the VCP card listings for the respective player are slowing the search. Those listings do not add any server load while searching and they render after the VCP listings appear. eBay takes the hit, not us but in the future we will wrap those listings in an improved container that will allow you to maximize/minimize them. So it'll be a nice module that shows only when you expand it (similar to the Want List Live Listings module) and will allow you to quicky find stuff on eBay similar to the eBay Search page but better.

This week the connection to eBay has been very jerky so it might have caused a bit of slowing at times while our records are updated. We've made some improvements this week and some have noticed with their My Collection records that it's close to lightning quick now and we have more ideas that we will implement to improve performance.

Thanks.

Carlos Cespedes
Online Sports Card Price Guide
VintageCardPrices.com

#4 izturk

izturk

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Collection:Philadelphia Phillies and A's.

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:50 PM

Bobby & Carlos,

Thanks for the responses. I'm at a loss to figure why the search feature I described took so long. Happened a few times in the recent past. Just did a search on Carlton and Ashburn, two players that I collect many cards of. Both came up in about 4-5 seconds.

Whatever happened, all seems fine now. Will let you know if the problem pops up again.

Regards and good job with the site improvements/enhancements!

George P.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users