17 replies to this topic

#1 Bobby

Bobby

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Being with my girls.
  • Collection:Was a heavy Pre-war collector, mostly Hall of Famers type cards.

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:13 PM

Dear Valued VCP Members,

We will be restructuring our membership and implementing a fee increase. There will be two VIP membership types:

Silver Membership 12.99 p/month 129.90 p/year
Gold Membership 17.99 p/month 179.90 p/year

The only difference in site features between both member types is the ability to view links to past auctions/images, seller, buyer and bid count. These features will be available to Gold members only.

At the launch of VCP two years ago, we had a total of 150,000 price records that only covered baseball up to the year 1959. Today we have over 1.5 million records and now covering baseball, basketball, football, hockey, boxing and non-sports up to the year 1989. Our cost of operating has increased considerably since our inception as we now have 3 servers to effectively run the website and we are not very far from having to do a major upgrade on our server package. We now have about 300,000 images of cards from past auction and adding about 35,000 new ones every month.

In the coming weeks you will notice a yellow alert icon near your username in your user navigation bar. You'll need to click it to select a member type.

Thank you very much for your support and for solidifying VintageCardPrices.com as the authoritative sports card price guide.

- The VCP Team
Bobby Binder
VintageCardPrices

#2 duncan300

duncan300

• Gold Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:12 PM

so what will happen if a subscriber is in the middle of an annual membership?

#3 kittens

kittens

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:14 PM

Bobby,

correct me if I my math is wrong but to get the current info available at today's rate of $10 per month is now costing $18 per month, an 80% increase in cost per month.

Joel

#4 Bobby

Bobby

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:44 PM

Bobby,

correct me if I my math is wrong but to get the current info available at today's rate of $10 per month is now costing $18 per month, an 80% increase in cost per month.

Joel

Joel,

The Silver membership is how the site was before for the first 1.5 years. The biggest thing we have to deal with is the storage of these 35,000 images we are grabbing every month. So we feel that the people that want this information should be willing to pay a little more every month. The silver membership will still show the auction links until they expire in the 90 days or whenever they are dropped by the auction server.

In regards to the annual memberships I believe that you will be switched to a Silver member and not be charged any extra until your membership expires. You will have a choice to become a Gold member then you would be charged a prorated fee of the current time you have left on your existing membership.
Bobby Binder
VintageCardPrices

#5 theczar

theczar

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:53 PM

Joel,

The Silver membership is how the site was before for the first 1.5 years. The biggest thing we have to deal with is the storage of these 35,000 images we are grabbing every month. So we feel that the people that want this information should be willing to pay a little more every month. The silver membership will still show the auction links until they expire in the 90 days or whenever they are dropped by the auction server.

In regards to the annual memberships I believe that you will be switched to a Silver member and not be charged any extra until your membership expires. You will have a choice to become a Gold member then you would be charged a prorated fee of the current time you have left on your existing membership.

So if we paid for a full year of service at an agreed upon price, you are going to reduce our privleges midway through and not honor the deal we originally paid for. If that is true that certainly DOES NOT seem fair.

#6 kenw1300

kenw1300

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 02:50 AM

Agreed... We signed up under the assumption that we would be receiving a certain level of service.

#7 cmoking

cmoking

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:16 PM

Bobby, my suggestion is to upgrade current annual subscribers to Gold and let their annual memberships run out, then re-up at that time. If you reduce service or increase price on current annual members, you will make a lot of unhappy customers in this hobby. We all know how small a hobby it is, and how word of mouth is important. Don't screw it up.

King Yao

#8 Bobby

Bobby

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:29 PM

We are honoring all existing memberships and when they expire you will get to choose which type you would like to be in the future. I would of responded earlier to this thread but I have been traveling the past 24 hours returning from Asia.
Bobby Binder
VintageCardPrices

#9 cmoking

cmoking

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:37 PM

We are honoring all existing memberships and when they expire you will get to choose which type you would like to be in the future. I would of responded earlier to this thread but I have been traveling the past 24 hours returning from Asia.

Excellent. Thank you.

#10 Carlos

Carlos

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:37 AM

We're still not certain on whether the prompting of the selection of the new membership will occur before or after your membership will actually end but as Bobby mentioned your existing membership term will be honored until it's expiration. So it will be similar to what King Yao suggested whereby all existing yearly VIP's will be Gold Yearlies when the new structure takes effect.

We are honoring all existing memberships and when they expire you will get to choose which type you would like to be in the future...

Carlos Cespedes
Online Sports Card Price Guide
VintageCardPrices.com

#11 Bobby

Bobby

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:45 PM

There seems to be some confusion in regards to the changes on VCP. The SILVER membership is going to be like it was before you get to see all the prices and the auction link as long as it is live. Ebay and other houses usually keep this up for 90-120 days after the auction ends. There are some sellers that do not host their images with eBay so they may pull them faster.

Now when an auction is over we grab the image and all the information. So when the link expires the SILVER member does not get to see this anymore and the GOLD member does.

I think a lot of people think they don't get to see any links at all on VCP and this is not true. And I want to clarify this to everyone.

Thanks,

Team VCP
Bobby Binder
VintageCardPrices

#12 ld_ferg

ld_ferg

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:08 PM

if you are increasing the price, how about increasing the speed of search results. i am sorry, but this site has a very very slow response time.

#13 Bobby

Bobby

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 04:51 PM

if you are increasing the price, how about increasing the speed of search results. i am sorry, but this site has a very very slow response time.

Really it is still slow for you, since we did the changes about 6 weeks ago the site flies for me. We even have received numerous email from members telling us how much better everything is on the site. Where exactly are you getting these hang ups?

Thanks,

Bobby
Bobby Binder
VintageCardPrices

#14 mwieder

mwieder

• Limited Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:13 PM

Really it is still slow for you, since we did the changes about 6 weeks ago the site flies for me. We even have received numerous email from members telling us how much better everything is on the site. Where exactly are you getting these hang ups?

Thanks,

Bobby

Bobby - some things are much faster but at least one feature is still dreadfully slow - searching for prices at a certain grade within a set is one of those operations where you click it, then find something else to browse for a few minutes until the results come back.

#15 cargilecollectibles

cargilecollectibles

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:51 PM

Bobby,

I use the card prices / features on rare occasion but it is the Graded Unopened Pack information that I joined the site for. The images for the single graded cards is "nice" but for unopened material it is absolutely essential. Without VCP tracking at minimum the top card showing (ideally the bottom card showing as well) on the sale of a graded cello pack / rack pack / ... , the pricing information is virtually worthless. A prime example is 1975 Topps Baseball Cello Pack - GAI 8. It show 2 sales, one for $72.50 on 02/02/2008 and the other for $465.30 on 02/14/2008. No other information is available without looking at the images. Looking at the images reveals that the $72.50 pack had Lew Krausse on top while the $465.30 pack had Robin Yount on top.

Is there any consideration of leaving pack information available on the silver level until the structure and organization of the packs section is revised?

Harry

#16 Bobby

Bobby

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:07 PM

Bobby,

I use the card prices / features on rare occasion but it is the Graded Unopened Pack information that I joined the site for. The images for the single graded cards is "nice" but for unopened material it is absolutely essential. Without VCP tracking at minimum the top card showing (ideally the bottom card showing as well) on the sale of a graded cello pack / rack pack / ... , the pricing information is virtually worthless. A prime example is 1975 Topps Baseball Cello Pack - GAI 8. It show 2 sales, one for $72.50 on 02/02/2008 and the other for $465.30 on 02/14/2008. No other information is available without looking at the images. Looking at the images reveals that the $72.50 pack had Lew Krausse on top while the $465.30 pack had Robin Yount on top.

Is there any consideration of leaving pack information available on the silver level until the structure and organization of the packs section is revised?

Harry

When the seller states that the pack includes a high end player on the top or bottom I usually put this information in the extra section. I will be more careful in doing this when I add them to the site.

Bobby
Bobby Binder
VintageCardPrices

#17 Carlos

Carlos

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:51 AM

Actually the 70's are part of the era's that I cover and I have not been putting that information in. I apologize for this Harry and will be sure to include it in all future entries.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. It really helps with the work that Bobby and I put into the site every day. We work 7 days a week on auction entry, and want to be sure the data is as accurate as possible.

Regards,
Carlos

A prime example is 1975 Topps Baseball Cello Pack - GAI 8. It show 2 sales, one for $72.50 on 02/02/2008 and the other for $465.30 on 02/14/2008. No other information is available without looking at the images. Looking at the images reveals that the $72.50 pack had Lew Krausse on top while the $465.30 pack had Robin Yount on top.

Carlos Cespedes
Online Sports Card Price Guide
VintageCardPrices.com

#18 lexieshasta

lexieshasta

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:19 PM

Actually the 70's are part of the era's that I cover and I have not been putting that information in. I apologize for this Harry and will be sure to include it in all future entries.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. It really helps with the work that Bobby and I put into the site every day. We work 7 days a week on auction entry, and want to be sure the data is as accurate as possible.

Regards,
Carlos

Reply to this topic

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)