• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 leadoff2

leadoff2

• Limited Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:53 AM

Looking for the best value that's within comfortable walking distance to the show. Thanks for any help.

#2 mrmint23

mrmint23

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:47 AM

Check out Travelocity...Last year I booked a hotel in Baltimore about 3 blocks from the show for 65.00 a night. But I would recommend staying very close to the show...Check out their website nsccshow.com

#3 leadoff2

leadoff2

• Limited Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:03 AM

So, would you say 3 blocks is too far away? I checked out the National's website. Quite pricey($150/$200) night for all that are across the street or 1 block away. Maybe just being in Chicago has a lot to do with it. Thanks for the reply.

#4 mbmiller25

mbmiller25

Advanced Member

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:40 AM

So, would you say 3 blocks is too far away? I checked out the National's website. Quite pricey($150/$200) night for all that are across the street or 1 block away. Maybe just being in Chicago has a lot to do with it. Thanks for the reply.

It wouldnt suprise me if you see the cost come down on some of these hotels as we get closer to the show. I booked my room for Chicago two years ago through the housing link given on the National website and was contacted as the show got closer alerting me that my room had dropped in price. The Doubletree is directly across from the convention center and at $129 is not a bad deal. Gibson's Restaurant is attached to the Doubletree, so you have a pretty nice place to eat as well.

#5 mrmint23

mrmint23

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:41 AM

3 blocks isnt to far unless its raining or you have alot to tug around...I bought a drag behind box crate with wheels that worked great. But if you can afford it stay beside the place having the show. Also, if you are flying out usually the hotel you stay at will let you leave your luggage behind the counter until you depart.

#6 leadoff2

leadoff2

• Limited Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:20 AM

Lots of good info. I'm taking my wife with me(it's her b-day trip too:)) I know staying near the airport would be more convenient but I doubt there will be much for her to do during the day and I hear downtown is a good 10 miles away. Anyone know if there's any shopping close to the convention center? I guess I should've added those details to begin with.

#7 cadets68

cadets68

Grand Master

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

The airport is very close to the convention center. The hotels near the convention center are never "cheap". I have stayed at the Hyatt many times for business it is a nice hotel with a revolving restaurant on top. I have been to many shows at this location, I have never seen any shopping within walking distance.

This is a pretty big place. I believe the conevntion center is over 2 times larger the the center in Baltimore. It is located in a extremely high traffic area. Mostly an industrial feel to the area. O'Hare is close - so there are lots of freight/shipping type things around. Dowtown Chicago is a long way from the Convention center, but the train is near and you can take it into the city.

I can't post a link to a map. But if you search for the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center you should find a map.

Good luck. As the show nears I am sure there will be much more discussion.

Shawn
Psa Braves/Brewer Team Sets Complete
1956 Topps Milwaukee Braves 17.39%
1957 Topps Milwaukee Braves 40.00%
1958 Topps Milwaukee Braves 12.82%
1959 Topps Milwaukee Braves 25.00%
1960 Topps Milwaukee Braves 100.00%
1961 Topps Milwaukee Braves 57.14%
1962 Topps Milwaukee Braves 62.86%
1963 Topps Milwaukee Braves 34.21%
1964 Topps Milwaukee Braves 54.55%
1965 Topps Milwaukee Braves 29.03%
1971 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1972 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1973 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1974 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1975 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00% 
1976 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1977 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1978 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1979 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1980 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1981 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 96.88%
1982 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 78.13%
1983 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 78.38%
1984 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 75.56%

#8 leadoff2

leadoff2

• Limited Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:50 AM

Thanks Shawn. I guess now the decision is do we stay downtown and I take the train to and from the show or do we stay near airport/convention center and she takes the train to and from downtown. Any more suggestions/advice? I've never been to Chicago so I have no clue about the city.

#9 arexcrooke

arexcrooke

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:48 PM

Thanks Shawn. I guess now the decision is do we stay downtown and I take the train to and from the show or do we stay near airport/convention center and she takes the train to and from downtown. Any more suggestions/advice? I've never been to Chicago so I have no clue about the city.

If you stay downtown expect about a 45-60 minute train ride one way.
Ive attended 3 Chicago Comic shows in the last 4 years and have always stayed at the Courtyard O'Hare Marriott. It is not within walking distance but they do have a shuttle that will pick you up and take you not only to the convention center and other places.
The Stephens Center is, as someone said, not near Downtown. Also, while there is food and restaurants around, there is little to do outside of the show.

If it is in your budget the Hyatt is attached to the convention center. However I have found their rooms to be small, and overpriced for the amenities provided. Such as paying for internet access.

There are hotels within walking distance. There is a nice hotel across the street, cant remember what the name is. Got a nice little bar where you can dip in and get a little lunch that isnt going to break your budget.

I am thinking about going and if I do, I will be staying at the Courtyard again.

#10 cadets68

cadets68

Grand Master

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

The truth is, it will be hard to accomplish both goals. I would never take the train while carrying anything valuable that I bought at the show. It is around an hour train ride downtown, I know my wife would not do that alone. Chicago is not the safest place. I wish there was some better advice, it will be hard to keep your wife entertained while you are at the show. Michigan Avenue is a must see for women. So you may need to figure away to squeeze it into your trip.

I make the 2 and a half hour drive 3 or 4 times a year for the big shows at the convention center. I have never taken my wife. But I do have to take her to Chicago a couple times a year. With my wife we either stay on/near Michigan Avenue or out near Naperville (which is a long long way from downtown).

Maybe you can check with some of the airport hotels to see if the shuttle buses can take your wife to some of the shopping areas. They might be a little far away. There should be no problem having the shuttle bring you to the card show.

One other thing- you will be disappointed with Chicago if you only stay out by O'hare. The city has a ton of things to do. But you will be so far out you will never even see the city. So I am not sure how this is going to work. Maybe you could spend an extra day or two taking in the sites. Maybe see a Cubs or White Sox game.

Bring your big wallet, nothing is cheap!

Shawn
Psa Braves/Brewer Team Sets Complete
1956 Topps Milwaukee Braves 17.39%
1957 Topps Milwaukee Braves 40.00%
1958 Topps Milwaukee Braves 12.82%
1959 Topps Milwaukee Braves 25.00%
1960 Topps Milwaukee Braves 100.00%
1961 Topps Milwaukee Braves 57.14%
1962 Topps Milwaukee Braves 62.86%
1963 Topps Milwaukee Braves 34.21%
1964 Topps Milwaukee Braves 54.55%
1965 Topps Milwaukee Braves 29.03%
1971 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1972 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1973 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1974 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1975 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00% 
1976 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1977 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1978 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1979 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1980 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1981 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 96.88%
1982 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 78.13%
1983 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 78.38%
1984 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 75.56%

#11 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

Be careful how much you spend guys ... you may have nothing left to buy cards! LOL

#12 leadoff2

leadoff2

• Limited Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:43 AM

Keep the info. coming guys. It's looking like there may have to be two days devoted to shopping/entertainment and two days devoted to the show. I'm surprised that it would take 45-60 min. to get 10 miles on the train. Is a day and a half enough time to get a good look at most of the show stuff?

#13 mrmint23

mrmint23

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:07 AM

I would recommend at least 2 1/2 days at the show. That would be the preview on Wednesday and at least 2 more days...It takes a 1 1/2 days just to get around the show and then to go back and negotiate deals.

#14 Griffins

Griffins

Advanced Member

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Set collector-T200, Cracker Jacks, '06 Fan Craze, T218, T118, Sport Kings, '41 Goudey and Playball, '48 Leaf, '58 Bell Brand, '58 Hires Test, pre '59 unopened packs, uncut sheets and panels. Probably other stuff too.

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

I've been to 2 Nationals in Chicago ('05 and '08). Both times with my wife and son. The first time we stayed at downtown at the House of Blues (think it's called "Sax" or "Jaz" now) and the 2nd time at the Sofitel across from the show.
Taking the train from downtown was not a big deal, and well worth it. The train will drop you a 5 minute walk from the show. The benefits of staying downtown are huge- you're in the middle of everything, and it's a lot more fun
If you're staying in Rosemont you might as well be anywhere- there is nothing to do other than the show, hotel bars, and Gibsons. It completely misses the entire essence of being in Chicago. I don't think your wife is going to have a great time, and that will make it less likely she (and you probably) will get back to another show. Chicago is a kick ass city, with tons to do. Take advantage of that and stay downtown.
In regards to time at the show, 2 days should be plenty. If you can get a dealer pass my suggestion would be Wednesday and Friday. If you can't make it Thursday and Friday. Avoid Saturday like the plaque, it's crowded and not the time to be able to talk to people and see things properly.
Get there when the show opens, have water and snacks, and avoid the lunch area in the hall- better off bolting across to Gibsons for lunch, or if it's Friday cop a free lunch on PSA at their luncheon.

I would recommend at least 2 1/2 days at the show. That would be the preview on Wednesday and at least 2 more days...It takes a 1 1/2 days just to get around the show and then to go back and negotiate deals.

#15 leadoff2

leadoff2

• Limited Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:59 AM

Griffins, THANK YOU!! Not only did you answer my question about staying downtown or by the airport, you also answered my question in regards to which days to attend the show! I will probably arrive in Chicago around 3:00p.m. on Wed., so I should be able to make it over for a couple of hours on Wed. evening and I'll attend all day on Friday. Thanks again!

#16 Griffins

Griffins

Advanced Member

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Set collector-T200, Cracker Jacks, '06 Fan Craze, T218, T118, Sport Kings, '41 Goudey and Playball, '48 Leaf, '58 Bell Brand, '58 Hires Test, pre '59 unopened packs, uncut sheets and panels. Probably other stuff too.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:13 AM

Griffins, THANK YOU!! Not only did you answer my question about staying downtown or by the airport, you also answered my question in regards to which days to attend the show! I will probably arrive in Chicago around 3:00p.m. on Wed., so I should be able to make it over for a couple of hours on Wed. evening and I'll attend all day on Friday. Thanks again!

If you're getting there at that time you should go straight to the show. OHare is about 10 minutes from the convention.
Given that, you might want to spend that nite next to the show, and then switch to a downtown hotel afterward.

#17 mrmint23

mrmint23

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:05 PM

You should also buy the VIP ticket just in case you want to go for more than 2 days. The promo cards and free autos make it worth the price. Also you could sale or give the pass to someone else going to the show.

#18 leadoff2

leadoff2

• Limited Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:53 PM

What are the benefits of a dealer pass? I won't be in town until Wed. afternoon anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users