16 replies to this topic

#1 Tedw9

Tedw9

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:06 AM

I know Bobby would like to see the board pick up and has asked a few of us to help out. I had a couple of ideas I thought I would throw out there to see what others think.

How about a contest each month? Maybe one for board regulars and one for those who subscribe. Give away one free month to one person per month who subscribes and maybe a couple of days free use to a regular board member. If you were to give away 2 days, send them two codes to be used that only work for 24 hours after entered.

I know this is a business, but sometimes to make money you have to spend money. And people like free stuff, and the chance to win.

Any thoughts?

#2 HeritageAddict

HeritageAddict

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:41 AM

I agree, as a matter of fact I actually emailed Bobby that suggestions a couple of days ago. Might be something to consider for the future.
[L=My Registry Sets]http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/OtherSets.aspx?m=4009[/L]

#3 bregia

bregia

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:11 AM

I agree, as a matter of fact I actually emailed Bobby that suggestions a couple of days ago. Might be something to consider for the future.

Good idea.

#4 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Grand Master

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

I also agree that it is a good idea. If you get contests up and running, I am sure guys here can spread the word on other boards as well. Maybe even give away a few graded cards as a bonus in each contest IF IF IF IF the winner has at least one post in each of the past ten days prior to winning. Just trying to think of ways to get people posting here.

#5 leadoff2

leadoff2

• Limited Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:06 PM

Probably a good idea.

#6 arexcrooke

arexcrooke

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:45 AM

what about something like a grading contest?
Post scans before scans of about 10-15 cards, take grades via PM, and then at the end of the round you post the grades.
At the end of the contest the contestant with the best score gets a free month or something.
They do this over at the CGC boards and it is always a highlight to the year.

#7 Tedw9

Tedw9

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:31 PM

What about a Newbie/Welcome forum? And maybe some other sports forums?

#8 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Grand Master

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:17 PM

What about a Newbie/Welcome forum? And maybe some other sports forums?

That's a good idea. I think the only post each person should make is an introduction of themselves. Name, where they are from, what they like to collect, etc. It would be an EZ way to look up people's names, collecting habits, etc.

#9 Griffins

Griffins

Advanced Member

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Set collector-T200, Cracker Jacks, '06 Fan Craze, T218, T118, Sport Kings, '41 Goudey and Playball, '48 Leaf, '58 Bell Brand, '58 Hires Test, pre '59 unopened packs, uncut sheets and panels. Probably other stuff too.

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

what about a wantlist forum?
I've got a stack of cards I haven't gotten around to listing on ebay, and it would be easy to go thru the board to see if any of them fall on anyones wantlist.
I'm always upgrading as well, and it would help a lot of I knew if someone was interested in a card I was upgrading from.

That's a good idea. I think the only post each person should make is an introduction of themselves. Name, where they are from, what they like to collect, etc. It would be an EZ way to look up people's names, collecting habits, etc.

#10 HeritageAddict

HeritageAddict

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

I do like the want list forum idea, don't have much to offer, but lots that I need.
[L=My Registry Sets]http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/OtherSets.aspx?m=4009[/L]

#11 arexcrooke

arexcrooke

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:33 PM

I do like the want list forum idea, don't have much to offer, but lots that I need.

Want List sounds excellent
I would like to see this site have an area dedicated to education and information.
Such as:
Card alterations and what to look for
fakes and how to spot, ie Aaron RC, etc
basic information on different eras of cards, like T, exhibits, etc.
Wax pack info, what they looked like, series, etc.

If we could establish some threads that would help expand the knowledge of the collectors in general that should help generate more action here. And oh yeah, lol, make a positive impact in the hobby

#12 arexcrooke

arexcrooke

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

I would like to see this site have an area dedicated to education and information.
Such as:

If we could establish some threads that would help expand the knowledge of the collectors in general that should help generate more action here. And oh yeah, lol, make a positive impact in the hobby

Oh, and it would be a good idea to take the time restriction off of PMs.
I got a message that I cant send another PM for a while. That could be a little bit of an aggravation

#13 Tedw9

Tedw9

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:31 PM

Such as:

I think that is an excellent idea! We need to share as much information as possible with other collectors, new or experienced. I would love to have one spot where we can collect, store and access all that information.

#14 Nascar360

Nascar360

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:41 AM

Education and information are key. I picked up on other sites makes and models of good scanners, card cases and boxes to hold graded cards. Good books on Football and baseball cards. Without any history we are doomed to repeat it.

#15 Sidepocket

Sidepocket

Advanced Member

• Silver Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:58 AM

I really like the idea of adding some of the oddball stuff like scanner suggestions (I'm looking for one now), want lists, etc.

Another topic that I seem to search out from time to time is eBay sellers. Maybe a small section on experiences with different sellers.

#16 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Grand Master

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:29 PM

I really like the idea of adding some of the oddball stuff like scanner suggestions (I'm looking for one now)

About 1.5 years ago I picked up an Epson Pefection V300 PHOTO Scanner ... it is AWESOME and can be had for under $100.00.

I know a lot of other guys on the OTHER forum picked up the same scanner (some for as little as $70, I believe) over the past year and they love it as well!

#17 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Grand Master

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:30 PM

Just a note: All scans I have up on any of the forums were from this scanner.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users