Photo

I thought PSA's .5 bump was for centering...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mullinspw

mullinspw

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:18 AM

I'm in the market for a centered OPC rookie and ran into this one on eBay.

I thought the .5 bump was reserved for centered cards? Does anybody have an idea as to why this card got the bump?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

Attached Files

#2 mrmint23

mrmint23

Grand Master

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

I dont think the .5 only applys to centering...This card probably got the .5 bump due to it not having any creases or wrinkles but having too much corner damage to hold it back from a 6.

#3 Sidepocket

Sidepocket

Advanced Member

• Silver Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:01 AM

I also thought the .5 bump was supposed to be for centering but I don't think it's applied consistently. I think in the Gretztky though it is probably the reason for the .5

#4 BunchOBull

BunchOBull

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:24 PM

When PSA unveiled the .5, it was never meant as a designation of any one feature. Just a grade for cards better than the former and lower than the latter. Basically, if most of the card's features meet the requirements of the higher grade, but it has one or two blatant issues, there is compromise in the middle.

That being said, all adding the .5 grades did for PSA is increase the number of inconsistencies. It was hard enough to consistently fit like cards into 1 of 10 grades, much less 19.

#5 HeritageAddict

HeritageAddict

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

Agreed, I think on cards that would grade 7 or 8 the .5 grade is largely dependent on centering, but anything lower than that and I think it is actually used the way it is supposed to be.
[L=My Registry Sets]http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/OtherSets.aspx?m=4009[/L]

#6 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Grand Master

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

Agreed, I think on cards that would grade 7 or 8 the .5 grade is largely dependent on centering, but anything lower than that and I think it is actually used the way it is supposed to be.

I agree with Doran's thinking on this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users