#1 arexcrooke

arexcrooke

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:38 PM

Here is the scenario:
You are a veteran collector and a person who is interested in collecting cards comes up to you and asks you for advice on how to get stated.
What are the books, magazines, websites (this one of course :P ) would you tell them to find to increase their hobby knowledge?

#2 Bobby

Bobby

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:Being with my girls.
  • Collection:Was a heavy Pre-war collector, mostly Hall of Famers type cards.

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:52 PM

On Pre-war cards the best resources are oldcardboard.com and the Net 54 board besides VCP. The guys at OCB are a good bunch and do a very good job on their site with nice articles. Net 54 has some of the most knowledgable collectors out there.

On using this site as a price guide also take a look and see the frequency the card you want becomes available. With almost 6 years of records you get a good picture on how often cards come up for auction. If it is a card that sells often then be conservative and try to get it for a good price. If a it is rarely available then you just may need to throw the value out the window and go the distance if you really want it.
Bobby Binder
VintageCardPrices

#3 arexcrooke

arexcrooke

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:01 PM

On Pre-war cards the best resources are oldcardboard.com and the Net 54 board besides VCP. The guys at OCB are a good bunch and do a very good job on their site with nice articles. Net 54 has some of the most knowledgable collectors out there.

On using this site as a price guide also take a look and see the frequency the card you want becomes available. With almost 6 years of records you get a good picture on how often cards come up for auction. If it is a card that sells often then be conservative and try to get it for a good price. If a it is rarely available then you just may need to throw the value out the window and go the distance if you really want it.

Are there any books or magazines (in or out of print) that would be a good resource for novice collectors?

#4 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:47 PM

Arex ... you or I could probably explain the basics to them as well as any book.

#5 mbmiller25

mbmiller25

Advanced Member

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:12 AM

Arex ... you or I could probably explain the basics to them as well as any book.

If you want a couple good reads in regards to the hobby:

"The Card"
"Mint Condition"

I also enjoy Joe Orlando's book. "Collecting Legends, Top 250 Sportscards in the hobby"

#6 arexcrooke

arexcrooke

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:23 AM

Perhaps you are correct. However, I couldnt explain T cards, or Hassan Triple Folders, or the new card market to someone.
I also dont know much about the crash in the early 90's as I was in high school and out of collecting then. I would love to know more about the ins and outs of the hobby and how that time has helped influence the current time.

#7 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

I never read them, but I have heard the books Matt mentioned talked about quite often.

#8 Griffins

Griffins

Advanced Member

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Set collector-T200, Cracker Jacks, '06 Fan Craze, T218, T118, Sport Kings, '41 Goudey and Playball, '48 Leaf, '58 Bell Brand, '58 Hires Test, pre '59 unopened packs, uncut sheets and panels. Probably other stuff too.

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

First off, get The Standard Guide to Baseball Cards, by Bob Lemke.
Then The Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards, Vol 1-3, by Lew Lipsett.
Following that, in no particular order:
VCBC, the entire run of 40 or so issues
Old Cardboard, get a subscription and back issues
Collector Magazine (formerly SGC collector) subscription and back issues
America's Great Boxing Cards, by Adam Warshaw (even if you aren't interested in boxing cards)
The Unopened pack, wrapper, and display guide by Mark Murphy
The Photographic Baseball Cards of Goodwin & Company by Jay Miller, Joe Gonsowski, and Richard Masson
American Tobacco Cards by Forbes & Mitchell
Smithsonial Baseball-Inside the Worlds Finest Collections by Stephen Wong
The T206 Collection by Tom Zappala and Emily Zappala
Collecting Sports Legends by Joe Orlando

Sign up for auctions/catalogs from Legendary, Goodwin, Mile High, Lipset, Huggins and Scott, REA, SCP & Heritage. The info in the copy is well worth it, in addition to the offerings. Also pick up any back issues of Mastro and REA

Old auction catalogs have a ton of info- the key ones are The Barry Halper Collection @ Sotheby's, The Copeland Collection. The Topps Guernsey Archive Auction

Message Boards: CU, Net 54, SGC (not much there), and Full Count. Hopefully from there you can get an invite to any number of private boards where the real info is exchanged.

Lastly, for great images, Hagers Comprehensive Guide To Baseball Cards, Frank Slocums Classic Baseball Cards, and Topps Baseball Cards, A 35 year History should give you some visual reference.

All in all a pretty comprehensive library that should remove any possibility of getting laid for some time.
;)

#9 Nascar360

Nascar360

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:48 AM

If they want something to look at checkout the Topps books that show every baseball card from 1951 -1985 and the Topps football card book. Topps Baseball Cards: The Complete Picture Collection (A 35-Year History, 1951-1985) & Topps football cards: The complete picture collection : a history, 1956-1986

There is also a hobby paper that Chris Harris is working on over at Stale Gum. It's a good read as well.
“This paper will analyze “The Hobby” in the increasingly competitive boom years of the 80s and early-90s; the crash years of the mid-to-late-90s; the relative stability, despite the exit of some firms, of the mid-to-late-2000s; and the rationale behind MLBP’s decision to grant Topps monopoly power again.
In the Beginning…”

see blog.stalegum.com/2010/11/hobby-paper-first-draft.html

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)