5 replies to this topic

#1 Tedw9

Tedw9

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:30 PM

I recently pick up a card that brought me back to an earlier time in my collecting....

Back in 1996 Upper Deck came out with the first (I believe) jersey cards. I was AMAZED I could actually own a piece of a game used jersey. So I scrimped and saved, I HAD to have one. Took me forever to save my pennies, but finally I had enough money. I purchased the 1996 UD Tony Gwynn jersey card and I was thrilled. I spent my whole collecting budget on it, $300.

Yep, you read that right, $300.

DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!

A few years later my girlfriend and I split and I sold a large chunk of my cards and that Tony Gwynn card was one of them to go. I think I got maybe $10-20 for it. OUCH! :(

I picked it up again this week for the whopping sum of $6, just to have it again.

Anyone else have a dumb purchase they want to share?

#2 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Grand Master

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:20 PM

Ted ... where do you want me to begin? LOL

#3 mrmint23

mrmint23

Grand Master

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:55 AM

I have a lot of purchases I regret not making...Like the last 2 Nationals when I found a good deal and walked off to think about it only to come back and the card is gone.

#4 Tedw9

Tedw9

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:29 PM

I have a lot of purchases I regret not making...Like the last 2 Nationals when I found a good deal and walked off to think about it only to come back and the card is gone.

I had that happen a few times on Ebay with BIN's. I'm not one to just jump on what I think is a good deal unless I am SURE on what I am buying. So I do research first, which at times has bit me in the butt. But in the long run, it has saved me some cash and headaches.

No one else has a bad purchase or two they want to share?

#5 BunchOBull

BunchOBull

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:52 AM

My general rule is not purchase major cards unless I can find them for 75% of past market average. This has saved me a lot of heartache in terms of financial loss.

My biggest losses have probably come from the wax I busted in the '90s as a kid; however, in reality, I've made more on busting over the last 4 years than I've lost. The streak cannot go on forever though.

#6 akuracy503

akuracy503

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:26 PM

It's a sickness that cannot be stopped.
:huh:
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users