• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 baldesmere

baldesmere

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:27 AM

I recently got my cards out of the attic and all of my 3D cards are curled. I tried flattening some lesser cards by placing weight on top- they cracked! So how do I flatten my Willie Mays and Roberto Clemente without cracking them?

Help me somebody!

-Moth

#2 Tedw9

Tedw9

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 05:37 PM

I recently got my cards out of the attic and all of my 3D cards are curled. I tried flattening some lesser cards by placing weight on top- they cracked! So how do I flatten my Willie Mays and Roberto Clemente without cracking them?

Help me somebody!

-Moth

Hey Moth, welcome to the board!

I don't know if I can be of any help. What you experienced is a very common problem with those cards. I think the plastic dries out over time and shrinks which causes the curling, but I may be off there.

I don't know if there is any way to flatten your cards without them cracking.

#3 mrmint23

mrmint23

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:54 AM

Try putting a common in the freezer for a couple of days and see if it helps. This helps with gum stuck to the card.

#4 Tedw9

Tedw9

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:10 PM

Have you tried anything?

#5 BunchOBull

BunchOBull

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:43 AM

Unfortunately, freezing the plastic should only make it more brittle. The only option you have is conditioning the plastic, which means use of a liquid on the card. The problem is that, should the liquid spill over the edges or seep through a hairline crack, it may ruin the cardboard backing and image. Even if that doesn't happen, this isn't a 100% fix.

Try using the compound made to correct scratches on eyeglass lenses or CDs/DVDs/Blurays. Another option would be a clear ArmorAll vinyl conditioner. The compound should be applied and left to sit for several days and a new coating should be applied and repeated for at least 5 cycles.

After that, you've just gotta give it a whirl and try it out. If you can use gradual compression over the course of several days before completely flattening the cards, that might help as well.

#6 mrmint23

mrmint23

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:14 AM

Unfortunately, freezing the plastic should only make it more brittle. The only option you have is conditioning the plastic, which means use of a liquid on the card. The problem is that, should the liquid spill over the edges or seep through a hairline crack, it may ruin the cardboard backing and image. Even if that doesn't happen, this isn't a 100% fix.

Try using the compound made to correct scratches on eyeglass lenses or CDs/DVDs/Blurays. Another option would be a clear ArmorAll vinyl conditioner. The compound should be applied and left to sit for several days and a new coating should be applied and repeated for at least 5 cycles.

After that, you've just gotta give it a whirl and try it out. If you can use gradual compression over the course of several days before completely flattening the cards, that might help as well.

That took some thinking!! Any ideas on how to get creases out of cards?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users