2 replies to this topic

#1 Tedw9

Tedw9

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:20 PM

I've seen some cards with the pedigree printed on the label (Lionel Carter Collection) and was wondering if those cards carry any sort of premium?

I know most of his collection was higher grade, but does his name or another famous collectors name attached give the cards more of a premium?

#2 BunchOBull

BunchOBull

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:48 AM

While it's illogical to spend extra money on a commodity that has no difference from its equals based upon who you are buying it from or who once owned it, it obviously happens. Do these cards tend to be high grade examples? Yes. Are they breaking record sales in a down market? Yes.

The only common denominator here is the provenance, and in most other collectibles markets provenance has MAJOR bearing. I don't see why this isn't true for sports cards as well. The market is simply young (40 years is youth in a collectibles market), and the first generation of knowledgeable collectors are only now starting to pass and/or move their collections. We'll probably see more of this if the hobby itself can stay relevant.

#3 mbmiller25

mbmiller25

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:27 AM

While it's illogical to spend extra money on a commodity that has no difference from its equals based upon who you are buying it from or who once owned it, it obviously happens. Do these cards tend to be high grade examples? Yes. Are they breaking record sales in a down market? Yes.

The only common denominator here is the provenance, and in most other collectibles markets provenance has MAJOR bearing. I don't see why this isn't true for sports cards as well. The market is simply young (40 years is youth in a collectibles market), and the first generation of knowledgeable collectors are only now starting to pass and/or move their collections. We'll probably see more of this if the hobby itself can stay relevant.

No premium in my book.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users