• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stage4mtbk

stage4mtbk

• Silver Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:28 PM

I just got my latest PSA results and I have an N-5 Altered stock on my 1959 Bob Gibson :( I don't know if I should try to sell it listed as altered or just keep it in my own personal collection. I could never sell it without telling the buyer. What do you guys do when you find out you have an altered card? Also, the card looked pretty good maybe between a 5 or 6.

#2 mrmint23

mrmint23

Grand Master

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

Post a scan and maybe someone will buy it or you can always get it graded as authentic.

#3 flyfishman

flyfishman

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:46 PM

Post a scan and maybe someone will buy it or you can always get it graded as authentic.

#4 flyfishman

flyfishman

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:47 PM

I just got my latest PSA results and I have an N-5 Altered stock on my 1959 Bob Gibson :( I don't know if I should try to sell it listed as altered or just keep it in my own personal collection. I could never sell it without telling the buyer. What do you guys do when you find out you have an altered card? Also, the card looked pretty good maybe between a 5 or 6.

Go to www.alteredcards.com and you will get a lot of info on detecting altered cards. Measure the card, look at borders under a black light to see if there is recoloring. See if there are signs of trimming with a 10X loupe. If you can't find anything, send it to SGC. If they say it is altered ask them where the altering is. I have found that they are more helpful in this area than PSA. I have sent in cards that looked fine three times and the third time the card was graded. You never know with grading companies, especially PSA. If if continues to come back altered or if you can detect the altering yourself, have the grading card company slab it as Auth. Many people buy good looking Auth. graded cards.
I had PSA say that a GAI 9 Mickey Mantle was recolored as evidenced by an examination under a black light. I have failed to find that evidence using a black light and a 12x loupe. I think that they just didn't want to cross it over. I have learned from people high up at two auction houses that 90% of the time grading card companies do not cross over cards so don't waste your money

#5 Tedw9

Tedw9

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:02 PM

Flyfishman gave you some solid advice there. Personally, I would send it off to SGC to see what they say about it.

#6 stage4mtbk

stage4mtbk

• Silver Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I did check out the web site. Very good stuff. A little scary when they start to mess with the slabbed stuff or they show you slabbed cards that have been altered. I did luck out on the Gibson card. I had the business card from the guy i bought it from and he's sending me another card :)

#7 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Grand Master

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

Fly ... good info. Thanks for sharing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users