• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 snikwad26

snikwad26

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:46 PM

Hi all! I'm new to VCP, as well as to selling collectible cards. I need all the help I can get. So, here's my dilemma. I have been collecting baseball, basketball, football, and hockey cards since about 1984, which was the year I was born. My Dad had been a collector for years, prior to my existence, and passed the hobby down to me when I was old enough to numerically order the cards and search prices in the Beckett monthly magazine. fast forward a lot of years to present day and I am 26 looking to sell my "less sentimental but still valuable' cards. Basically, I'm keeping what is important to ME and selling what I can. With that bit of info., my question(s) is what's the best way to start? I have spent 2 weeks inventorying my collection and doing the best I can to price the cards on VCP but I do not know which price to go by. I know I have finely conditioned cards, near mint and need to know how to price them. I do not have any graded either. Also, I have sets and near-complete sets. I looked at the grader PSA because they seemed to be very reliable when it comes to grading cards. I would prefer to grade only my most valuable cards and be able to sell the others at a reasonable price. Please help!

#2 Tedw9

Tedw9

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

Hi all! I'm new to VCP, as well as to selling collectible cards. I need all the help I can get. So, here's my dilemma. I have been collecting baseball, basketball, football, and hockey cards since about 1984, which was the year I was born. My Dad had been a collector for years, prior to my existence, and passed the hobby down to me when I was old enough to numerically order the cards and search prices in the Beckett monthly magazine. fast forward a lot of years to present day and I am 26 looking to sell my "less sentimental but still valuable' cards. Basically, I'm keeping what is important to ME and selling what I can. With that bit of info., my question(s) is what's the best way to start? I have spent 2 weeks inventorying my collection and doing the best I can to price the cards on VCP but I do not know which price to go by. I know I have finely conditioned cards, near mint and need to know how to price them. I do not have any graded either. Also, I have sets and near-complete sets. I looked at the grader PSA because they seemed to be very reliable when it comes to grading cards. I would prefer to grade only my most valuable cards and be able to sell the others at a reasonable price. Please help!

Welcome to the board!

So your looking to get rid of your collection other than what you want to keep for your personal collection, is that correct?

You can't really figure prices on raw cards going by graded prices. The physical difference between a 7 and 8 is minor, but the price swing can be huge. And your idea of an 8 grade may be totally different than someone else. I've seen folks list stuff for sale as mint only to show a card with a dinged corner or two.

Your best bet is to search Ebay completed auctions and see how cards in the same condition are selling. Now keep in mind, your probably not going to strike it rich by selling what you don't want, but you may be able to put a few bucks in your pocket or maybe add to your own collection.

I would start with Ebay completed auctions as a start. Maybe make a list of what you have, scan in the nicer or more valuable cards and list them on boards like this.

#3 Nascar360

Nascar360

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:28 AM

There's no way to compare graded prices with raw (ungraded) prices. Tedw9 is correct and "Your best bet is to search Ebay completed auctions and see how cards in the same condition are selling". To get close to VCP prices for raw you will need lots of scans and offer refunds so the buyer has some confidence in the card and willing to spend more for an ungraded card in a poor economy.

#4 Nascar360

Nascar360

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:29 AM

You might want to get the key cards graded from these sets where you will see a price bump from selling them.

#5 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:45 PM

I agree that you should get the "better" cards graded. There is NO WAY you can price out raw cards based upon VCP/PSA prices.

#6 mrmint23

mrmint23

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:06 PM

I might be interested in some...pm me with your prices

#7 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

Have you done anything with your cards?

#8 mrmint23

mrmint23

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:53 AM

I would like to look at your cards...Please pm or email

#9 snikwad26

snikwad26

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

Thanks to all who have replied with very helpful information. I have not done anything with my cards,as far as selling goes, I have, however, managed to get a good portion logged in inventory and still working on finishing them up. Something I was reading on-site was about Just Collect and selling outright to them or through consignment. I'm not interested in selling outright for cash but I am curious about the consignment , as I understand it to be more of an effort to get maximum dollar with a commission paid to Just Collect. I'll await further information/ suggestions any of you may have to help. Thank you all.

#10 snikwad26

snikwad26

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:21 AM

Mr. Mint,

What kind of information would you like me to email you? I sent a friend request. I don't know if that will help in sending/receiving info. or not but let me know and I"ll get info asap. This message also applies to any who seek information on my collection.

#11 mrmint23

mrmint23

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:36 PM

My email is mrmint23@hotmail.com

#12 snikwad26

snikwad26

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:54 PM

Here's a sample of my collection for anyone interested...
MLB
1988 Fleer Baseball Record Setters
1990 Swell Baseball Greats
1993 Topps Stadium Club
1989 Score
1993 Topps Gold
1993 Leaf series 1
1993 Leaf Triple Play
1989 Bowman
1989 Topps
1988 Fleer
NFL
1989 Pro Set
1991 Action Packed
1984 Topps- This year contained a lot of hall of fame players
1993 Pacific- Complete Set of ALL 20 cards
1993 Pacific- Pacific Picks the Pros COMPLETE SET OF 25 contains Jerry Rice, Steve Young, Emmitt , Smith, Etc.

1994 Score Dream Team Holograph card- Jerry Rice
1990 NFL Pro Set- Emmitt Smith RC
1993 Upper Deck- Chipper Jones RC
1993 Pacific Prisms- Joe Montana, John Elway, Shannon Sharpe
1990 NFL Pro Set- Joe Montana MVP Super Bowl XXIV
'' '' Pro Bowl
1989 Topps-Tim Brown All-Pro
1989 Score- Tony Mandarich RC
1989 Topps- Ed ''Too Tall'' Jones
1990 Topps- Joe Montana All-Pro
1989 Topps- Broncos "Elway Ground Attack"
1989 Score- Edgar Martinez RC
Randy Johnson RC
Ramon Martinez RC
1990 Score- Bernie Williams RC
1989 Score- Bo Jackson
Jim Kelly
1990 Score- Barry Sanders Ground Force
1984 Topps- Walter Payton Instant Replay card #229
Tony Dorsett #238
Howie Long #111
Marcus Allen Instant Replay #99
Eric Dickerson Card #s 280, 276, 204, 1, 281
Franco Harris card #s 3, 165
Dan Marino #123
1992 Fleer Ultra- Reggie White Career Highlights All 10 cards in set of 10
1993 Classic- Jerome Bettis
Drew Bledsoe
1972 Topps- Joe Namath #100

* I have much, much more. I just need to get an idea of what you are looking for.

** Also, I have tons of basketball cards as well if you know anyone in the market for any( Michael Jordan, etc.)

#13 mrmint23

mrmint23

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:21 AM

Where do you live in Alabama? I am in Tuscaloosa.

#14 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

Base upon your original post I thought you would have had older cards.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users