• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ray73

ray73

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

Hello! I was hoping to get some advice on selling 2 complete non-sports card sets. I am not a current avid card collector. However, I collected the complete Mars Attacks and Civil War News card sets when I was a kid back east. I was amazed at the current range of selling prices for these sets. Since I am the original owner and kept the cards in great shape, I believe the card sets might be of high value. The cards are ungraded but from what I researched on the Web, I think I might have Near Mint 8 grade cards.

So what are my options. I suppose that getting them graded first would bring the highest price for the card set. I'm thinking of having a company like PSA grade them. However, I am nervous about sending the cards through the mail. They could get damaged or worse if they get lost. I'd like to think that the grading companies are honest, but how do I know I get my original cards back? Also, how does one insure the package if the value is still undetermined?

I understand there might be companies like Just Collect, Inc. that might buy the complete raw or graded sets. What about auction houses? I'd like to sell the sets as a whole so I'm not sure if sites like this would necessarily be interested in the complete set but I do have many duplicates.

This is all new to me so I hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction.

#2 mrmint23

mrmint23

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:30 PM

Do you have any idea what you want for them? Also pictures help slot.

Good luck kirk

#3 cadets68

cadets68

Grand Master

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

Pictures would help a ton, it gives people an idea when trying to establish value.

good luck

Shawn
Psa Braves/Brewer Team Sets Complete
1956 Topps Milwaukee Braves 17.39%
1957 Topps Milwaukee Braves 40.00%
1958 Topps Milwaukee Braves 12.82%
1959 Topps Milwaukee Braves 25.00%
1960 Topps Milwaukee Braves 100.00%
1961 Topps Milwaukee Braves 57.14%
1962 Topps Milwaukee Braves 62.86%
1963 Topps Milwaukee Braves 34.21%
1964 Topps Milwaukee Braves 54.55%
1965 Topps Milwaukee Braves 29.03%
1971 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1972 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1973 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1974 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1975 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00% 
1976 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1977 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1978 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1979 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1980 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1981 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 96.88%
1982 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 78.13%
1983 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 78.38%
1984 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 75.56%

#4 ray73

ray73

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:39 PM

Do you have any idea what you want for them? Also pictures help slot.

Good luck kirk

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, I'm really confused about the value of the card sets. I found a website www.usersites.horrorfind.com that states the ungraded Mars Attacks set is worth about $4,000 for Near Mint while a similar PSA graded set would be $30,000+. That's quite a spread in cost.

It's even tougher to find a value for the Civil War News set. So far, all I've found is an Ebay listing for PSA 8 graded cards for $2,200 for only 66 of the 88 card set. Ebay listings for individual cards range all over the place.

So it seems it might make sense for me to upgrade my membership to check current values and seriously consider having the cards graded. I'm not looking to rip off anybody but obviously, I'd like to get a fair and good price for my card sets. Meanwhile, I will try to hook up my scanner and get some pics for you. Thanks again.

#5 mrmint23

mrmint23

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:37 AM

Upgrading your membership is always a good idea....Condition of the cards is going to make the difference in price and value.

#6 ray73

ray73

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for your help. I've decided to get the cards graded. I talked to PSA and now plan to attend one of their upcoming shows and get some cards graded that same day. That way I will know immediately the general condition of both sets. If the cards get graded well (hopefully around 8), then I plan to have both sets completely graded. I plan to sell the complete sets but may consider breaking them up.

#7 smtjoy

smtjoy

• Gold Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:37 PM

Hi Ray,

Good luck with your cards those are some cool sets.

I think you are headed in the right direction but wanted to give you some additional tips. Have them only grade the top 5 condition cards from each set. This will give you a true idea of their grades, make sure the ones you pick are perfectly centered. I learned this the hard way when I sent some of my childhood cards in expecting 7-9's and they came back 2-7's, I have since learned a lot more on how grading works and things like little creases and a card not being centered have a huge effect.

That said once you get a few graded and if you do have a few high grade then it might be worth the inventment to get them all graded, on the other hand if they are mid grade it might just be best to sell them as a mainly raw set. On the selling, do not sell them outright, you will leave money on the table. If I was selling those sets I would go the auction house route with your two sets (many to choose from) but as a second choice is to consign them to a company like just collect and let them list them on ebay for you.

#8 ray73

ray73

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:29 PM

Thanks for the tips. Fortunately, I collected all the cards at the same time when I was a kid. Took a lot of nickels and chewed a lot of bubble gum. So the cards are basically all in the same excellent condition. However, I now see the centering varies a lot. Turns out my brother has all the duplicates and almost has 2 complete sets himself, so we might try mixing them if necessary. Too bad I threw out the wrappers and even the display box that they came in since I once bought the whole box the candy store had. Don't know if it's true but the wrappers are worth thousands and the box sold for $180,000.

If all goes well, I'm interested in your selling advice. Is there an auction house you recommend? Also, how does Just Collect improve your chances on selling on Ebay? I would use my son's account since he has a high seller's rating. I'm assuming you might mean if I plan on selling the cards ungraded.

Right now I'm hoping to have PSA grade all of the cards using their member bulk service so it might only cost $6 to $8 per card. Luckily, I live near their home office so I have discussed hand delivering and pick-up with them. So I'm going to pick out a few of the best cards as you suggested for the on-site same day grading later this month. I might even give them the "worst" card in my set just to see what it gets rated at.

#9 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:40 PM

I think picking out the 5 best in both sets, along with the #1 and LAST card in both sets, and getting them graded is the way to go. As others have said, this will give you a good idea on the true condition. I think a LOT of us thought our first submission would come back a lot higher than they actually did.

GOOD LUCK!

#10 ray73

ray73

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:40 PM

Here's an update on my grading. Your comments were on the mark.

PSA gave me grades of 4 on Mars Attack card #1, 6.5 on #51 and 5-MK on Checklist card #55. I collected all these cards myself back in 1962. Since these cards are basically all in the same condition, with the exception of the first and last (#55), I'm guessing the rest of the cards will be graded between 6 and 7. I'm going to have the rest of the set graded by PSA and plan to sell the entire set when the economy improves.

For your info, the Civil War News cards were graded 4 on card #1, 5 on #87 and 4-MK on the Checklist #88. I'm going to hold off getting the rest graded for now. However, I did find 2 unmarked checklists which I may get graded due to their low population.

Thanks again for all your advice. It's been interesting.

#11 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:00 PM

Glad you sent in a few to see what grades they received. I think MOST ALL OF US over graded our cards the first time we made a submission. I think getting the unmarked CW checklists graded is a good idea. Wishing you the best of luck with the sales.

FYI - Rick Probstein (Probstein123 on eBay) is a GREAT GUY to consign your cards to. His commission is very reasonable and I believe he will get you more for your cards than if you sold them yourself. He has a HUGE following on eBay.

#12 cadets68

cadets68

Grand Master

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:08 PM

Glad you sent in a few to see what grades they received. I think MOST ALL OF US over graded our cards the first time we made a submission. I think getting the unmarked CW checklists graded is a good idea. Wishing you the best of luck with the sales.

FYI - Rick Probstein (Probstein123 on eBay) is a GREAT GUY to consign your cards to. His commission is very reasonable and I believe he will get you more for your cards than if you sold them yourself. He has a HUGE following on eBay.

+1 for Probstein.

He got me more than I would have when I did a recent consignment.

Good luck

Shawn
Psa Braves/Brewer Team Sets Complete
1956 Topps Milwaukee Braves 17.39%
1957 Topps Milwaukee Braves 40.00%
1958 Topps Milwaukee Braves 12.82%
1959 Topps Milwaukee Braves 25.00%
1960 Topps Milwaukee Braves 100.00%
1961 Topps Milwaukee Braves 57.14%
1962 Topps Milwaukee Braves 62.86%
1963 Topps Milwaukee Braves 34.21%
1964 Topps Milwaukee Braves 54.55%
1965 Topps Milwaukee Braves 29.03%
1971 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1972 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1973 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1974 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1975 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00% 
1976 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1977 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1978 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1979 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1980 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 100.00%
1981 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 96.88%
1982 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 78.13%
1983 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 78.38%
1984 Topps Milwaukee Brewers 75.56%

#13 ray73

ray73

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for the lead on Probstein. I will check him out once I complete the grading of the cards.

Hard to believe how a kid back in 1962 could manage to keep any cards in PSA grade 8+. That's almost 50 years! I thought I was kind of anal with my cards.

#14 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:00 PM

Thanks for the lead on Probstein. I will check him out once I complete the grading of the cards.
Hard to believe how a kid back in 1962 could manage to keep any cards in PSA grade 8+. That's almost 50 years! I thought I was kind of anal with my cards.

Yeah ... basically if you touched them and played with them for a day ... an "8" is out!

#15 fiveniner

fiveniner

• Limited Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

Probstein is good people.
Tony(OLD SCHOOL)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users