• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 TFrance

TFrance

• Silver Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:20 PM

I'm relatively new to high-grade card market. It appears that a given PSA-graded card (i.e. 8) is valued slightly higher than the same card graded by SGC at comparable level (i.e. 88/8). Is it recommended to seek cross-over grades of SGC cards to move into PSA holders? Is there any risk in doing so? Combined pop reports must be overstated through such process.

#2 mrmint23

mrmint23

Grand Master

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:42 AM

Welcome to the boards....PSA and SGC are very comparable in grading but prices due vary based on Card. The risk is cracking out the card and finding something the third party grading company missed like a wrinkle or crease..Also you could damage the card in the process...But like other things in life sometimes the risk is worth the reward....Check out youtube on how to crack the cases...

#3 TFrance

TFrance

• Silver Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:57 AM

Welcome to the boards....PSA and SGC are very comparable in grading but prices due vary based on Card. The risk is cracking out the card and finding something the third party grading company missed like a wrinkle or crease..Also you could damage the card in the process...But like other things in life sometimes the risk is worth the reward....Check out youtube on how to crack the cases...

Thanks very much for the input. Some interesting stuff on YouTube. I definitely won't break into the case myself. Am thinking of sending to PSA with a "minimum grade" requirement before they even break it. Even with that, suppose there' s a chance PSA could damage the card.

#4 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Grand Master

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:02 AM

I think the problem with sending it in the case for review is that very seldom will PSA cross over another company's card at the same grade. Others probably know more about this than I, so please chime in.

#5 Tedw9

Tedw9

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

I think the problem with sending it in the case for review is that very seldom will PSA cross over another company's card at the same grade. Others probably know more about this than I, so please chime in.

Now do you think that's because they want people thinking they are more strict on grading standards than other companies or because they can't really get a good look at a card in the holder?

#6 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Grand Master

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:39 PM

Now do you think that's because they want people thinking they are more strict on grading standards than other companies or because they can't really get a good look at a card in the holder?

Ted ... I have to think it's a little of both. What are your thoughts?

#7 mrmint23

mrmint23

Grand Master

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:26 AM

The key is grading will always be objective when done by humans....Thus we all are a little bias when it comes to OUR work.

#8 TFrance

TFrance

• Silver Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:36 PM

Thanks. Guess I've heard between SGC and PSA they are both good/tough graders. Would think all-else-being-equal, PSA would prefer to have a card in their case vs. a competitor. Think I'll send a few in to see what happens. Will let you know.

#9 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Grand Master

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:24 PM

Yes ... let us know your results. Good Luck.

#10 Nascar360

Nascar360

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:24 AM

I've sent in some SGC 98's and half of them crossed over to PSA 10's.

#11 Tedw9

Tedw9

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

I think it's a combination of both. I would think that PSA wants folks to see them as the leader in grading and by giving another companies already graded card a lower grade, they would give the sense of being more strict grading.

Of course the other part is not being able to see the card fully in another holder.

The one other factor that I had not thought of is the human element. What you call an 8 may not be the same as what I call an 8.

#12 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Grand Master

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:05 PM

So what happened?

#13 TFrance

TFrance

• Silver Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:05 PM

So what happened?

Got the grades back. I sent in 6 SGC cards for cross-over to PSA. Bottom line, 2 of 6 made it at same grade. I was hoping for 3-4.

1959 Topps Gibson (SGC 8.5 made it to PSA 8.5)
1963 Topps Oliva (SGC 8.5 made it to PSA 8.5)
1956 Topps Aaron (SGC 8.5 did not approve at PSA 8.5, so left in SGC)
1967 Topps Mantle (SGC 8.5 did not approve at PSA 8.5, so left in SGC)
1955 Topps B. Herman (SGC 8.5 did not approve at PSA 8.5, so left in SGC)
1968 Topps N. Ryan (SGC 8 was deemed to be trimmed).

The VERY disappointing thing was seeing the judgement of trimming on the '68 Ryan. As reputable as SGC is, I would not think they'd have graded it if trimmed. Suppose no recourse or place to go. Given the cost of reviews, not sure I'll do much of this again. Thanks for input.

#14 reelnorth

reelnorth

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:24 PM

Got the grades back. I sent in 6 SGC cards for cross-over to PSA. Bottom line, 2 of 6 made it at same grade. I was hoping for 3-4.

1959 Topps Gibson (SGC 8.5 made it to PSA 8.5)
1963 Topps Oliva (SGC 8.5 made it to PSA 8.5)
1956 Topps Aaron (SGC 8.5 did not approve at PSA 8.5, so left in SGC)
1967 Topps Mantle (SGC 8.5 did not approve at PSA 8.5, so left in SGC)
1955 Topps B. Herman (SGC 8.5 did not approve at PSA 8.5, so left in SGC)
1968 Topps N. Ryan (SGC 8 was deemed to be trimmed).

The VERY disappointing thing was seeing the judgement of trimming on the '68 Ryan. As reputable as SGC is, I would not think they'd have graded it if trimmed. Suppose no recourse or place to go. Given the cost of reviews, not sure I'll do much of this again. Thanks for input.

Hey all - new to "card chat boards". I am pretty much just a 52 collector, and yes I have almost everything in PSa because of the registry. I have a freind who bought a raw tough card, and sent it in to PSA and got a 6. Cracked it out and sent it in again and got a "trimmed", sent it in AGAIN and got a 7. Its so subjective. I generally crack and resub, or just submit raw cards I find, and the grades are ALL OVER THE MAP. Grading is such a cash cow now, I am sure that sometimes you just get a crappy grade so you WILL resub.

Nice to meet you all

#15 mrmint23

mrmint23

Grand Master

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

Try subbing again or just leave it in the sgc holder or sell it to me...check out the psa board and the net54 board...also welcome to the jungle..

#16 reelnorth

reelnorth

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

Now HERE's either the best or worst thing I have ever done in collecting. I picked up and SGC 84 Pafko red CHEAP. Looks really really good. Lets all hope and pray it crosses!!

#17 Tedw9

Tedw9

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:22 AM

Hey all - new to "card chat boards". I am pretty much just a 52 collector, and yes I have almost everything in PSa because of the registry. I have a freind who bought a raw tough card, and sent it in to PSA and got a 6. Cracked it out and sent it in again and got a "trimmed", sent it in AGAIN and got a 7. Its so subjective. I generally crack and resub, or just submit raw cards I find, and the grades are ALL OVER THE MAP. Grading is such a cash cow now, I am sure that sometimes you just get a crappy grade so you WILL resub.

Nice to meet you all

I've never subbed much, but from what I have read on other boards, this seems to be the way to go. If you don't like the grade, resub. It stinks for the wallet, but it seems to work.

And welcome to the board reelnorth, hope to see you around.

#18 reelnorth

reelnorth

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:31 PM

Thanks - I am waiting for the card to show up & I will scan and take all opinions. I have talked to numerous "heavies" in the hobby, and they tend to think cracking the Pafko is the best bet to get a PSA 7. Im going to try is cased first in the SGC NM 84 7 holder. Once I scan, pls comment

#19 reelnorth

reelnorth

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:16 AM

Ok - I stared at the Pafko from every angle,and took out my trusty "Crackin Blade" last night. Case opened up (stressfull working with what could be a 12k+ card)

The one corner looked a little dirty, but it wiped right off and turns out just a tiny bit of the original "gloss" is missing. Other than that, card is amazing. I am sending it in today on "Walkthrough" service, and will advise on the results

#20 mcmlvtopps

mcmlvtopps

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:37 PM

How I crack a card out...NOT for the faint of heart!!

I use a vise at my work bench and sandwich the card at the bottom between two pieces of scrap wood, maybe 1/3 of the way up the bottom of the slab. Tighten to snug it up, but DON'T over tighten. Get a chisel and a hammer. Insert the chisel with the beveled edge facing you into the tiny groove of the slab. Begin to tap with the hammer until you see some progress...that is, the slab is beginning to separate. Do this from side to side till you really see progress...the bevel of the chisel will act to force the slab open.

NOTE...use the chisel on the far sides of the slab, DO NOT use it in the middle. I position the chisel so 1/2 of the blade is in the wind, the other half workinig the slab.

With the above method, I can safely crack a card out in less than a minute...more like 30 seconds.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users