5 replies to this topic

#1 Tedw9

Tedw9

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

A lady had them listed in a local swap guide. When I called, she listed a bunch, including Mathewson which caught my interest.

When I got there, she had 60 or so cards, almost all with creases, rounded corners and a few with stains. She had pre graded them and was pretty accurate on most. But the whole time she was lecturing me on how she wanted a fair price, she would rather keep them then be taken. I told her I was looking to buy and resell to make a profit. She then goes off on me on how she makes braided rugs to sell but she probably only makes minimum wage, that sometimes we have to do it for "the love of what we do" rather than the money. I knew right then I should get up and say no thanks, but I didn't.

Some antique dealer gave her a couple of sites to look up, including a T206 site, the PSA price guide and Ebay. After an hour or so of her going on and on, telling me how she did her homework and she "knows what they are worth" and that she "won't be taken by anyone" we finally got down to pricing the cards. She had a list of what her research told her they were worth, I came here to VCP. I explained how it works here and went to the first card, Herman Armbruster, at best a PSA 2. I showed her the average of $17 and explained how the price was figured.

She looks at her paper and tells me someone on Ebay is asking $50. I then tell her they can ask anything they want, but it doesn't mean it's worth that. I explained these are completed sales, not asking prices. She then tells me that "this isn't going to work for me" so I packed up, said thanks for your time and left.

I'm not complaining, just sharing my experience. She says the antique dealer wants them and that he paid her $25 a card for the really bad shape ones. Something tells me he will either have them for a very long time or sucker some fool into buying them.

Too bad, I had a pocket full of cash ready to spend and I still have that cash.

#2 mrmint23

mrmint23

Grand Master

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

The beauty of vcp is realized prices and not fictitious asking prices. Another valid point is eBay selling prices include about 16% in fees.

#3 Tedw9

Tedw9

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:39 AM

Exactly! I tried explaining that, but she didn't want to hear it. And I tried to explain that anyone can put up a price guide, but if they don't update it on a regular basis it's worthless. She didn't care about the fees I would have to pay or the work I would have to put in listing them all. When I tried explaining that to her, she stopped me mid sentence and that's when she went off on her rug making spiel.

#4 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Master Member

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

I'd tell her to go back to the antique dealer and get $25.00/per for the ones she showed you. Also ask her for the antique dealers name so you can sell all your lower graded cards for more than they are worth! LOL

#5 Bobby

Bobby

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Being with my girls.
  • Collection:Was a heavy Pre-war collector, mostly Hall of Famers type cards.

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

Hate when that happens!
Bobby Binder
VintageCardPrices

#6 mrmint23

mrmint23

Grand Master

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

It happens way too often....All these new reality shows have caused people to develop false hope in their "valuables". When in reality "pickers" score about as often as we find vinatge cards for sale on craigslist.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users