3 replies to this topic

#1 avi29

avi29

• Silver Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

Hello to All,

I'm just getting back into baseball card collecting after a 20 year hiatus. It hasn't taken long to realize that the Internet and Card Grading have significantly changed the hobby since I was a kid.

I stumbled across VintageCardPrices.com and have a few questions for those of you who already subscribe to the price guide:

* Is this the only/premier website that compiles auction sales prices for PSA graded baseball cards? Or are there any other competitor sites worth checking out? What do people think of SMR report which is provided by PSA?
* Once you are subscribed to VintageCardPrices.com, does the service include a single table listing prices for all of the cards in a set across all PSA grades, with Card # on the Y axis and PSA grade on the X axis (similar to a PSA Population report or an SMR report)? Or do you have to click individually on each card, then on each PSA grade, to see the price info (much more time consuming if you want an overview of prices for an entire set)?
* How does the service arrive at its quoted price for a given card (for example, 1973 Topps #1 PSA 8)? Does it average all auction sales prices for that card over some recent period? And does it also provide all of the individual sales data points (or at least a price range with dates)?
* Anything else a newbie should know?

Thanks so much in advance!

Best,
Avi

#2 Tedw9

Tedw9

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:29 AM

Hello to All,

I'm just getting back into baseball card collecting after a 20 year hiatus. It hasn't taken long to realize that the Internet and Card Grading have significantly changed the hobby since I was a kid.

I stumbled across VintageCardPrices.com and have a few questions for those of you who already subscribe to the price guide:

* Is this the only/premier website that compiles auction sales prices for PSA graded baseball cards? Or are there any other competitor sites worth checking out? What do people think of SMR report which is provided by PSA?
* Once you are subscribed to VintageCardPrices.com, does the service include a single table listing prices for all of the cards in a set across all PSA grades, with Card # on the Y axis and PSA grade on the X axis (similar to a PSA Population report or an SMR report)? Or do you have to click individually on each card, then on each PSA grade, to see the price info (much more time consuming if you want an overview of prices for an entire set)?
* How does the service arrive at its quoted price for a given card (for example, 1973 Topps #1 PSA 8)? Does it average all auction sales prices for that card over some recent period? And does it also provide all of the individual sales data points (or at least a price range with dates)?
* Anything else a newbie should know?

Thanks so much in advance!

Best,
Avi

Welcome to the board Avi! I will try to answer your questions as best I can. I may not be 100% accurate on these, so if I am wrong, hopefully someone will jump in and correct me.

As far as I am concerned, this is the BEST website out there for prices. PSA now offers their price guide for free, but most people feel it's not very accurate, which I agree with. If there is another site out there, I've never heard of it. With VCP, it's real time pricing. Does VCP catch EVERY sale, no. But no one does or ever could. But in my opinion, VCP is light years ahead of what anyone else is doing.

For your second question, I am not sure....I THINK you have to click on each card and grade, but I may be wrong. I'm sure Bobby or someone else could answer that better than me.

As far as how they get pricing, I believe they throw out the highest and lowest sales and give you an average of the rest. I think when a card that doesn't sell very often (once every few years) you get the most recent sale price as the average. Once again, I may be wrong and someone else could answer this better.

What else should a newbie know? Well, the "My Collection" tool is a great piece to use. You can keep track of your collection, name each part, keep track of what you paid and get the most recent value with a couple of clicks. I also believe you can sign up for a want list, so if a card you are looking for comes up for auction, you will get an email alerting you to the sale. Also, keep in mind that VCP is a guide. It gives you the tools, you just have to use them wisely. If there is a PSA 9 you really need and it's higher than VCP, it could be because it's a strong 9. As you'll see, not all 8's and 9's are equal when it comes to grading.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions. Please feel free to ask more if you have them and welcome to the board!

Steve

#3 mrmint23

mrmint23

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

Welcome...check out the psacard.com and net54.com sites.

#4 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

SMR, IMO, is NOT an accurate reflection of the sales prices of the cards.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users