7 replies to this topic

#1 abellpharmd

abellpharmd

• Gold Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just thought I'd introduce myself to the boards. I have returned to baseball cards after a long time away and have decided to join everyone here on the forum. I am in my 30s and live in SE PA. Last year, I received a large box of baseball cards that I had stored at my Dad's house from when I was a kid. Most of if is 80s and 90s junk, but I decided to go through it and organize the cards. It was one of the more enjoyable moments I have had in quite awhile, just looking back at my old beaters. It was shortly after that I thought about picking up the hobby again.

I've spent the first several months just buying random stuff and working on trying to collect Orioles Team HOFers and building a Cal Ripken Jr Base Set through PSA. I also have been buying a lot of fresh wax, and found myself really liking some of the classic designed cards like A&G and Topps Heritage. This has led me to really try to learn a lot about vintage cards. I've decided to try and build a couple different sets. These are going to be long, lifetime goals, as money becomes available. Have 2 little ones at home and a wife who is glad I've found a hobby, but doesn't want me to blow our retirement either. I decided to try and tackle The Monster T206 set, the 1933 Goudey, and a 1927 York Caramels E210 set. I'm originally from York and thought it would be nice to have these cards.

Why 3 different sets? I guess compared to some people that's not a lot and to others, they try to focus on just one. I felt that the T206 is basically the entry way into PreWar and that the color and images on the cards are always classic. I like the fact that it's a tobacco set. The 33 Goudey is another beautiful set, luckily half the size of the T206, and is easily available. In addition, it's also one of the first R series sets making a great bubblegum set. Lastly, I thought it'd be cool to pick a caramel set. I considered one of the earlier American Caramel sets and the Cracker Jack sets (still may end up there one day), but the idea of collecting a set that was produced for a hometown product, helped seal the deal. I really would love to learn any new information on E210s, if anyone has any. Because it's not collected as heavily, I'm a little lost on information on the product, yet I'm pretty excited by it because it serves as a great bridge from the T206 to the Goudey and includes players from both sets and others that are in neither.

Well, I know that was long, but just thought I'd introduce myself and my interests/intent and look forward to interacting with other forum members in the future.

- ABellPharmD

#2 BruceinGa

BruceinGa

• Gold Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

Welcome and good luck!

#3 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Welcome to the boards Doc ... you picked three pretty nice sets, considering you dont want to blow your retirement savings! LOL

#4 Bobby

Bobby

Master Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Being with my girls.
  • Collection:Was a heavy Pre-war collector, mostly Hall of Famers type cards.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

Being a VCP member will help you in your collecting endeavors. Take
advantage of the tools we have especially the Want List.
Bobby Binder
VintageCardPrices

#5 Blackie

Blackie

• Limited Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:1958 Topps Baseball SGC Graded<br />1966 Philadelphia Football SGC graded<br />1981 Topps Football SGC graded 92 or better

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:07 AM

Hello

Im also new to VCP but not to the hobby. I set up a free account on VCP back in 2008 and have been monitoring it every since and now have a membership to use all services. Good to be out in the collecting community doing what i enjoy and love. My primary focus is the 1958 Topps Baseball Set which im doing in SGC grade.

Hope to meet others with the same enjoyment of collecting.

#6 mrmint23

mrmint23

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

Any luck?

#7 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

Blackie ... how's that '58 set coming along?

#8 mrmint23

mrmint23

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:04 AM

Just noticed where Blackie is selling a nice 51 bowman Mantle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users