25 replies to this topic

#1 PaulMaul

PaulMaul

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:45 AM

It seems in the last 4-5 years there is a real downward trend in prices on low pop commons, at least from the 70s. Is it nothing more complicated than unopened being ripped and populations increasing, or has registry set collecting been abandoned by some in favor of HOFers only?

#2 PaulMaul

PaulMaul

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:34 AM

Similar situation for 10s from the early to mid 1970s. Just pick any card from the 1972 set, for example, and look at the prices for 10s from 2011-2015. Just picked this random example of Hoyt Wilhelm. That's around a 65% decrease in a few years.

12/4/15 $120.00
10/13/15 $118.62
9/14/15 $120.50
11/9/14 $102.50
7/14/14 $161.15
5/15/14 $283.78
9/12/13 $400.00
8/28/13 $344.99
8/4/13 $409.00

#3 bobbyvcp1

bobbyvcp1

Advanced Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:13 PM

Funny when you see a common single pop in a 10 sell for crazy dollars. Then over

time more come out of the woodworks and the value just plummets. See this a lot

in the AMR on the site.

#4 mrmint23

mrmint23

Grand Master

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:47 PM

Guess it is like never seeing a certain vehicle in town but once you see one seems the next week you see a thousand. 

#5 PaulMaul

PaulMaul

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:37 AM

With the sets I'm interested in I'm certainly glad I waited several years before pursuing graded cards. A lot cheaper now.

#6 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Grand Master

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:41 PM

I think it's due to a larger supply.

#7 PaulMaul

PaulMaul

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:32 AM

It's almost sad to keep seeing PSA 9 1972 Del Unsers being offered for $400. I believe that ship has sailed.

#8 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Grand Master

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:42 PM

And it's even sadder for the guys that PAID $400.00 back in the day.

#9 PaulMaul

PaulMaul

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:00 AM

I guess it's part of that symbiotic relationship between unopened and graded. The unopened gets rarer, and the populations increase. Even beyond increasing populations, though, the juice in the hobby seems to have shifted almost completely to superstars lately. Am I the only one who appreciates a really nice 1972 Enzo Hernandez?

#10 mrmint23

mrmint23

Grand Master

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:19 AM

Well said.

#11 jonsfez

jonsfez

• Gold Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:18 PM

Take one look at the '71 low-pops and you'll find these commons have skyrocketed in the last 3 years ... $1,500. for a PSA 8 Larry Brown! Claude Raymond $1,600. and a number of $300.-$500. sales in PSA 8s.
It seems that, at least for '74 and older that we are not seeing much in the way of meaningful increases in low pops. The pops appear to be near maturity, based on limited premium inventory that has yet to be graded, coupled with PSAs (now) tougher grading guidelines.

#12 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Grand Master

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:46 PM

Prices on some 71 commons, as you stated, are CRAZY!

#13 PaulMaul

PaulMaul

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:29 AM

Take one look at the '71 low-pops and you'll find these commons have skyrocketed in the last 3 years ... $1,500. for a PSA 8 Larry Brown! Claude Raymond $1,600. and a number of $300.-$500. sales in PSA 8s.
It seems that, at least for '74 and older that we are not seeing much in the way of meaningful increases in low pops. The pops appear to be near maturity, based on limited premium inventory that has yet to be graded, coupled with PSAs (now) tougher grading guidelines.

Good points, but it seems to vary. For 1972, I think the populations have come up a lot in the last four years, and prices on those cards are not close to what they used to be. I guess the '71s are just a lot tougher.

#14 mrmint23

mrmint23

Grand Master

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:19 AM

1971 anything in 7+ is tough due to those borders. Guess thats why Munson's second year card is worth more than his rookie.

#15 PaulMaul

PaulMaul

Master Member

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:04 PM

Also, the 1971 Munson is much more iconic (landscape card, trophy card) than the multiplayer rookie.

#16 mrmint23

mrmint23

Grand Master

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:26 AM

Its a beautiful card.

#17 Dboneesq

Dboneesq

Grand Master

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:35 AM

1971 anything in 7+ is tough due to those borders. Guess thats why Munson's second year card is worth more than his rookie.

BINGO

#18 goldenjet

goldenjet

• Gold Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:57 AM

Well... I'm on the registry with a couple of '69 topps baseball sets.. there's a few cards I need in a PSA 9.. I swear I have a couple of 8's that should be or could easily be compared to some 9's I've seen or in 9 slabs... the cards I need are very low pop and very seldom show up.. here's what I need.. and like I said.. I should re-submit them... but PSA graders are like NHL refs.. they never admit to a bad game or call... just to add I have over 40 years of collecting... not my first rodeo...

52 Mike Andrews... crazy money..
69 Steve Hamilton... same
78 Tom Satriano... same.. big money
451 Rich Rollins
512 Cleon Jones.. just went for over a "G"

These are the low low pops.. and every one of these I own could be In a 9 holder.. I know if some big time dealer was to submit these.. very well could come back 9's..

#19 mrmint23

mrmint23

Grand Master

• Limited Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

You should try self submitting at the National..Might be able to talk with a dealer or grader that can point out problem areas.

#20 goldenjet

goldenjet

• Gold Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

You should try self submitting at the National..Might be able to talk with a dealer or grader that can point out problem areas.

Sorry it took so long to get back here.. but I have a lot on my plate these days with work and family.

As far as submitting at the National for a review.... its very expensive I think more than just sending them in... I've done it before. Even have had Joe 1 on 1.. showing him a 9 compared to an 8.. that he admitted that sometimes, some cards slip by.. I give him credit for that.. honestly I have talked to someone in charge of grading at a show or 2 to proved my case... I submitted a '69 Steve Hamilton.. in an 8 holder for a review that I looked at under a loop.. both sides, that was dead centered and pin point Corners.. no paper missing on Corners no creasing.. comparing it to other 9's. ..there was a faint tiny.... and I mean tiny print on the white boarder... and I mean lite.. when I got the card back... that's what they said was holding this from being in a 9 holder... I have seen a lot worse in a 9 holder.. here's the kicker... I then showed them a card I had with me, that was absolutely loaded with print defects in a 9 holder... the guy literally eyes opened, went wow!! I said now go show the grader this.. of course it didn't matter..

I've looked over plenty of 9's 8's 7's over the years... I'm 4th on the '69 registry.. so like I said I've submitted a lot of my own because 40 something years ago I was literally putting sets together from vending from an old baseball card shop here in Chicago called the sports collector store owned by Pat Quinn.. so my point is... I think I know as much as any dealer.... but.. won't get the same out come as they would.. jmo...

It just gets old when you see 9's on eBay with off center soft corners.. happens a lot with Seaver cards as well, most have a bad tilt... and you see these in 9 holders... or soft Corners because they're somewhat centered.. I have one.. beautifully centerd on the front but on the back it's a bit off top and bottom... just gets old.. like I said without sounding like I'm bloviating... I do have some some knowledge about the grading process..

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users