2 replies to this topic

#1 pariscollector

pariscollector

Advanced Member

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 06:25 PM

Lets see if we can get some activity within these forums....

As collectors, we all have stories during our journey that we wish we had a do-over or wish we knew then what we know now.... what stories do you have, if you could jump in a DeLorean, and do different

I will throw out one story.... collecting as a kid, along with one of my good friends, we were buying boxes with other kids were buying packs and buying cases when other kids buying boxes..... during one of those years, we were buying boxes for $12.60 at Ben Franklin (showing my age).... I remember buying about 1-2 boxes while my friend bought about 12-15 boxes. The boxes were 1986 Fleer Basketball. I was more interested in Baseball instead of Basketball at that time, wrong call.... I still have my cards but my friend sold all of his 1986 Fleer a few years later to attend college. I think he had between 40-45 Jordans....

#2 Bobby

Bobby

Grand Master

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:29 AM

Great story....

When I was a kid in the 70's I was always more interested in the old timers and loved talking with my dad about the players. I would work for him in his warehouse in the summer and get paid $50 a week. Every Saturday morning I would take a bus to West Hollywood to a place called ADCO owned by Goody Goldfladden. Look him up he is one of the baseball card pioneers. He was a grumpy old man. The front door was always locked so you needed to be let in and when you entered he would ask what you wanted. You would tell him and he would go in the back and then return with handfuls of cards for you to look at to purchase. Any T206/T205 Cobb, Matty, Johnson, Young, Tinker, etc all of them were only $4 each. 1932 Goudeys HOF's same $4 each, Gehrig would cost $15 and Ruth $20-25. The most expensive card I ever bought from hims was a T206 Plank for $45. I would get home with my 10-12 cards and rearrange my card book with my new favorites and every day look them over and read the backs for hours. 

Bobby Binder
VintageCardPrices

#3 pariscollector

pariscollector

Advanced Member

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:40 AM

WOW....I am a little younger and missed collecting during that time...   I heard a similar story from a guy I ran into at the National one year.  He was collecting in the early 70's said he had a shop/guy he would buy from on the East coast.... and buy 1951 Bowman Mantle/Mays between $5 - $15.  Absolutely crazy....

FYI...  I will give you $90 for your T206 Plank.. you can double your money..  :D  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Collecting

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users